Tuesday, July 21, 2009

#6: Voldemort's Inclusion

Ok so it's confirmed at the end of OTP that Voldemort has in fact returned. The entire premise of HBP is this fact. A war has begun, things are happening that happened fourteen years prior, people are dying, his followers are returning, the dark mark is appearing more places, etc. etc. Bottom line: kind of a big deal. Yet he doesn't make a single appearance in the movie? I realize that he has limited appearances in the book as well, but what was picked and chosen for the movie about Voldemort seemed wrong to me. Particularly the omission of the scene where you meet his parents incidentally. I found the Gaunt's and the connection to the ring Horcrux to be very intriguing and again, the imagery surrounding Marvolo, his home, and his son Morfin seems like it would do very well in a visual medium. But Yates and crew felt differently.

1 comment:

  1. Out of all the things that upset me about the movie, this is at the top of the list.

    It was my favorite part of The Half Blood Prince (yeah, I'll spell it out... no half-assed abbreviations here). I loved it when you saw Voldemort's origins. Personally, I much rather have had this book be 2 films instead of The Deathly Hallows.

    ReplyDelete