Monday, August 3, 2009

#10: Jack Sparrow's Compass

The compass that indeed, does not point due North but rather to the thing one wants most in the world. A map of the heavens on the inside and a compass disk made from a shaved walrus tusk, this little item could prove quite useful in many regards, first and foremost, shattering this 'emerging adult' stagnation I find myself entrenched in, comprised of procrastination, consternation, and indecision. Jack uses the compass to find a lot of mythological or fantastical items (e.g., the fountain of youth, Isla de Muerta, & the Flying Dutchman), but I wonder how well it would work in the real world. If what I truly wanted in life was money, does it just lead me to the outside of a bank, because that wouldn't do me much good. Or if what I wanted more than anything else was love, can you imagine following that thing like a dog concentrating on a scent and ending up standing next to some woman you've never met before... Think about how well that pickup line would go over, "Hi, uh... see I have this gadget here, that leads me to the thing I want most in the world, and I think that's love, and it lead me to you." Now if she's normal, she either reaches for her can of pepper spray or tells you to get the hell out of her face; if she's cool, she says something along the lines of well, what if that thing is just trying to get you laid. Either way, Mr. or Mrs. Right probably isn't gonna buy it. Though it does often lead Jack Sparrow to rum, which could be useful. I guess the biggest question mark related to this item for me is whether or not you can extremely specific, like making a distinction between 'rum' and 'free rum' or 'money' and 'easily stealable money that's federally insured so I don't feel guilty' etc. etc. The idea of this prop gets it onto the list, but the pragmatic semantics of it keep it at Number 10. And in case you're wondering, in the interest of diversifying the list, I did choose this item OVER Davy Jones' heart, which will not be on the list.

Thanks for reading, please comment either below or in the new comment section to the right, and I hope you enjoy the remainder of the list. Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that this item is a fantastic idea, but is rendered largely useless by the real world. But I don't even know if I'd include it in the top 10. Its function is similar to the Mirror of Erised from Harry Potter, which I probably would not include in the top 10 either. The compass has some advantages in that it tells you where said most-wanted object is. And its easily portable and concealable. But can it deal with abstract concepts, that make up an interesting man idea of happiness? If Jack Sparrow wants rum or wenches, it's certainly entertaining. But that's a temporal desire. Could the compass direct one to self-fulfillment? Or show the way for a younger brother outshone by all the others to become the best of the brood (Ron)? Or produce a family for a lonely orphan? Probably not. For a magical object, it just seems so . . . unmagical. Leave the utilitarian shit where it belongs.

    ReplyDelete